Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review by Sky: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
The Vampire Academy


I am so incredibly late starting this series, and believe me when I say I regret it! 
 It was just that I am such a huge fan of vampire novels, and it seemed like everyone started jumping on the YA Vampire Bandwagon after Twilight, and the mythical race was slowly being ruined for me after every book I gave a chance to. Well, I am catching up fast now! There is a lot of high school-ish drama in this book but it does not over-shadow the fantastic power of this story!

This is probably one of my most favorite vampire worlds to this day. So totally different, so creative and original. This is a Y-A book that reads like an adult book at times, told in the first perspective of Rose Hathaway, a strong-willed, unruly, sarcastic yet very intelligent and badass heroine! (can you tell I love this character?)

Richelle’s vampires are divided upon the Royal Vampires, Moroi-Mortal vampires who are amongst families who are in line for the crown by rankings.   Then we have, Dhampir’s. Half human, half Moroi vampires who are raised to be guardians of the Moroi, assigned to their subject in their younger years at the Academy. They are to learn to protect their assigned Moroi from the Strigoi’s…The bad, immortal  vampires who were once Moroi, but betrayed their bloodlines for power and immortality and seek to destroy  the Moroi’s.

Rose is best friend and assigned to Lisa, a royal Moroi who has powers not many other vampires contain. A few years before the story takes place, Rose and Lisa were in a car wreck that killed Lisa’s family and Rose severely injured… Lisa’s mysterious power when she cried for her friend, resurrected Rose and a bond was formed. Rose can now feel and enter Lisa’s mind/emotions. When Rose suspects someone is after Lisa shortly after, she made the rash decision of taking Lisa and running away.  They lived amongst humans at a college campus for two years before being caught by the enigmatic, powerful and quiet, (and hot) Russian Guardian trainer, Dimitri.

When they are brought back to the Vampire Academy, life changes drastically for both Lisa and Rose. Something is not right in the air, and it seems everyone is after them, especially Lisa. But why? Rose is assigned to afterschool training sessions with Dimitri to catch up on her missed years of guardian training, leaving Lisa alone after hours, trouble finding her every time they turn their heads. 
The tension between Rose and Dimitri is electric!

The series of events and conclusion left my jaw hanging wide open. Unexpected turns and reveals left and right before we are taken to the next book in the series.

I found this first book entirely captivating hanging on to every word to guess what’s going on, who is after Lisa and Rose, and keeping my fingers crossed for Rose to get to Dimitri’s heart wholly when she becomes legal, that is!! X_X
I also love how there is romance that keeps you on your toes, but unlike most YA series of the likes, this story does NOT revolve around it!

Richelle Mead has me spellbound, I now must own every book of hers in my collection, and read them over and over! Thank you, THANK YOU for making such a strong and willed successful heroine!  Rose is amazing through and through!

No comments:

Post a Comment