Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review : The Cursed by Alyssa Day

First of all I want to extend a H-U-G-E Thank you to the author for sending me a review copy. When she asked if I would like to have one, I damn near fell out of my computer chair. Then when I opened the package and had my hands on it I *Squee’d* again!!! I wish that this week hadn’t been so busy for me, I didn’t want to put it down, I just wanted to read and read and read haha!
Welcome to Bordertown – Hidden in, around, above, and below the Manhattan area it’s a place where demon, fae, and some humans coexist.
So the book starts out with our hero Luke and a dark and mysterious man named Maestro having a conversation of sorts. By sorts I mean that Maestro stabs Luke to see if the silver of his blade has any affect on him yet – seeing if his curse has taken affect or if he’s still “good”… Then he gives him an envelope from the League of the Black Swan (a supernatural police force type of organization) which contains a photograph of a young woman. Rio Jones…He’s seen her around his office when she delivers packages and thinks she’s absolutely stunning but he keeps his distance. He doesn’t need any distractions for the sort of control he has on his curse. So what’s the Black Swan want with a human Messenger??
Rio Jones is a woman of many names, and this had me laughing so hard, especially when she called herself Rio Holmes. Every time she’d meet someone new she would always come up with a new last name for herself. She’s a 24 year old woman who works for the bike messaging service of Bordertown. Grew up in an orphanage ran by a convent, and is still best friends with another girl from the orphanage, Clarice. I like the friendship these two have, they’re like sisters.
In the beginning of the book she witnesses a little girl get snatched up by a huge man and thrown into a limo while out on a delivery run. Rio has special ability with being able to hear peoples thoughts, and with what this guy was thinking not only was she worried for the little girls safety but now for hers. Knowing she’s got to pack up and leave where she was living behind she knows one man who can help her and that’s Luke Oliver, he’s a P.I. ,but she also knows he has powers as well.
Now that this case has made it impossible for Luke to keep his distance from Rio, they work together to try and find the little girl. This case is just the beginning of their relationship. And Ms. Day sure does GIVE us a relationship, let me tell ya :) ! I really loved learning about Rio’s history and how she may not just be a measly human after all….
Key Elements I loved about the book:
-The Sex in this book is at the very top of this list. Can we say, “Oh my god!” Hot Hot Hot! And the first time they’re together had me cracking up!! If you read it you’ll know what I’m talking about :) !!
-There are a lot of laugh out loud moments. In Bordertown with all of these different types of Fae and Demons you never know what’s going to happen. Like for instance, a giant duck laying an egg in the middle of the street. Then later when they had to give the egg back to the duck! HILARIOUS!
-When we meet Luke’s friend Alice, I LOVED her! I want to see more of her in the series as it progresses for sure!
-Anything that has to do with animals is a go for me, and her little familiar/pet fox Kitsune is adorable. You definitely don’t want to upset this “furface” as Luke likes to call her.
-The world she created for the story and how it’s nestled inside Manhattan with all of these different non-human creatures. This is why I love paranormal, I love anything Fae/Demon related. You can make up anything, your imagination has no limits and write what you love and excites you.
-The mention of them using a Crock Pot, hey I love my crock pot meals. I’d be lost without that thing, especially in the winter!
I loved everything about this book and can’t wait to read more of this awesome series.

The Cursed by Alyssa Day – Available May 7, 2013

Rio, my name is Lucian” he growled. “I need you to say my name” – Luke
I don’t know how to have all these feelings. I know how to blow stuff up. You were hurting, and I wanted to help, but I didn’t know how, so I blew something up.” – Luke
Since I have only been reading straight PNR for maybe a year now, this was my first Alyssa Day read. Sooooo because I liked this book so much I went to my book store and got what they had in stock! HA!!
20130504_153023

No comments:

Post a Comment