Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review : The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


An absolute favorite of mine!
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus
Facebook.com/TheBooknatics

An absolute favorite of mine!This novel is set in the late 1800’s to early 1900’s in a classical yet dark and enigmatic tone. Erin Morgenstern feeds your imagination with vivid pictures with words that cast you into an unknown and exciting world.
The gist of this story is that two young illusionists were trained by rivaled senior Illusionists -to “compete” in a “game”- since childhood. The two children were never told who their competitor was, nor did they know when the “game” would start, or which venue, but were only told, “You will know when the time comes, and you will compete till there is only one left…” Never did they imagine would they fall in love in the midst of a mysterious circus…
Though the reading did give me some Tim Burton vibes and reminds me slightly of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, it’s a completely original story and unlike anything I have ever read.
I feel this book contained more than just a magical world, something much deeper than your average plot of a book; it shined to life a magical depth of the meaning of love, in all forms. The tone was very enchanting, poetic, and colorful even despite the black and white theme. I believe Morgenstern broke out of the cliché style of writing, and gave us something so brilliant and excellent enough to be an instant classic read. I am in love with this book, and dare I say I’d love to see this as a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment