Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review by Sky: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsdon Burnett


A true classic,Like most women who can agree this was an old-time favorite of theirs as a child, that adoration applies to me as well. I had first fallen in love with the movies based off this book but when my teacher in elementary told me there was a book written way before the movies -knowing very well how much I love to read- I ran for the library before leaving school for the weekend, and was completely consumed by this book.
It is a beautiful tale of a lonely, bitter child. She hadn’t many friends, and liked just about no one, and treated everyone with disrespect. Her parents die, and she is shipped off from India to live with her estranged Uncle in England, in a huge, empty mansion filled with gardens and caregivers. Being in a new place and hearing of a mystery of a secret garden, she sets off to explore. She slowly begins to notice how contrary she really has been in her few short years of life, and learns how exciting her life could be if she chose it to be. She begins to make new friends with animals and a caregiver’s young brother who teaches Mary how to open up and appreciate the beauty of nature and its wildlife, and for once… to feel what it’s really like, to be a child.
To me, the secret garden was very symbolic of the becoming of Mary. The garden was a lonely, unloved and drab garden, but with just a little affection and care, it bloomed to be a beautiful, giving, and loved garden -just as Mary bloomed to be a beautiful, giving, and adored young lady as she opened her heart and began to let people into her life, and treated them with respect.
I think this is a must read for all young girls. This book sets a young minds imagination on fire, and teaches if you treat life and others with respect and care, beautiful things can happen. I remember being deeply touched by this sad girls story, who had a spectacular happy ending. This book is among the top of my special gems I keep dear to my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment